Tuesday, January 27, 2015
Monday, January 26, 2015
A dark comedy of a washed up actor trying to be relevant again, faced with a personal crisis that soars to a cosmic level. It's a strange, funny but beautiful film. Everyone is too happy that Michael Keaton accepted Birdman after years of declining parts offered to him.
After watching it though, I was wondering how Emma Stone's tirade became an Oscar-worthy performance. Hmm. #WhatWouldJenniferAnistonSay
Brutal, intense and at times, a little hard to watch. There are moments of surprise that I never expected, jaw-dropping and cringeworthy ones.
Teller is able to keep up with Simmons but Simmons' abusive, despicable presence in every frame is reason enough to why this indie film is a staple of 2014's best. An Oscar in his name won't be too far-fetched an idea.
It's film awards season and it's a personal tradition to binge-watch the nominated films before Oscar night comes.
A month ago, I started with Boyhood. This is what I had to say:
Watched adorable 6-year old Mason finish his home works, change schools, endure an awkward phase of his life and be sent off to college in a span of 2.45 hrs so I feel slightly obliged to tell everyone go see Richard Linklater's enthralling coming-of-age narrative. It's wonderful.
Sunday, January 11, 2015
First eat out of the year with mi chicas and chico at UP Town Center even though 3 of us were either sick or recovering from recent bout of flu.
We ordered two of their best sellers: Mama Lou's Special and Spaghetti Seafood Olio. These were okay but frankly, nothing special.
The showstopper though was their Buttered Risotto. I am absolutely in love with it I'm pretty sure I can eat two servings of this in one seating!
I would like to try their Risotto Tartufo Funghi next time, see which one's better.
Monday, January 05, 2015
- To dress better. This requires a change of wardrobe though, limiting the shirt-jeans-sneakers outfit.
- Top the reading list of last year. Minimum would be 25 books.
- Watch more unconventional films, listen to atypical music. Get to know more offbeat artists, in general.
- Travel to first world countries. Get first world visa.
- Do new things.
- Consume more local products. Expand gastronomic experience.
- Do more good deeds.
- Try to be more fit. Turn those flabs to muscles!
- Go back to writing personal thoughts on a journal. Someday, those would be good for laughs.
- Save more.
- Post more on this blog! Gosh, each year the stats is dropping. This year marks the 10th year of my online presence, gotta uphold the gibbering.
as told by Marye at Monday, January 05, 2015